The MIA School Visits program is specifically tailored to the Ontario Curriculum in order to enrich classroom learning and fit easily into lesson plans. If your specific program is not listed below but you would like to visit the museum as part of your lessons, please feel free to contact MIA to arrange a visit.
MIA’s varied and wide-ranging collections are well-suited to many different subjects, including English as a Secondary Language (ESL) classes. Our most popular programs are:
- Grades 4-8: Elementary Visual Arts with cross-curricular links to Science, History and Language
- Grade 4: Social Studies – Canada’s Provinces, Territories and Regions with cross-curricular links to Visual Arts, Language, and Science
- Grade 5: Social Studies – Heritage and Citizenship – Early Civilizations with cross-curricular links to Language and Visual Arts
- Grade 6: Social Studies – Heritage and Citizenship – First Nations Peoples and Early Explorers with cross-curricular links to Language and Visual Arts
- Grades 9-12: Secondary Visual Arts with cross-curricular links to Language, World Religions and Canadian and World Studies
- Grade 9: Native Studies with cross-curricular links to Language and Visual Arts
- Grade 10: Native Studies with cross-curricular links to Language,Visual Arts and Canadian and World Studies
Student admission for guided tours is $5, while all chaperones falling within a 1:10 ratio are free.
Full-day program for Grade 6 students
MIA is pleased to offer a full-day program option for Grade 6 Social Studies classes in collaboration with the Bata Shoe Museum. Students will spend the morning at the Bata Shoe Museum, visiting their Beauty, Pride and Identity: Native North American Footwear exhibition, and will then visit MIA in the afternoon. The Bata Shoe Museum provides space to eat bag lunches in between museum visits. There is an additional charge of $6 per student for this program. To arrange the first part of the day, please call the Bata Shoe Museum at 416 979 7799, extension 242 or 228; to book the second half of the day, please call MIA at 416 640 1570.
To book a guided School Visit at the MIA, please contact Lauren Williams at 416 640 1571 or lwilliams [at] miamuseum [dot] ca at least two weeks in advance of your intended visit date.